Why Smart Vent
What is a Flood Vent?
Smart Vent’s line of ICC-ES Certified, Engineered Flood Vents protect houses and buildings during floods by preventing hydrostatic pressure buildup that can destroy walls and foundations. This mitigation technique, referred to as Wet Floodproofing, allows floodwater to freely flow through an enclosure such as a crawlspace or garage.
When Are Flood Vents Required?
The NFIP Regulations and Building Codes require that any residential building constructed in Flood Zone Type A have the lowest floor, including basements, elevated to or above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE).
Enclosed areas are permitted under elevated buildings provided that they meet certain use restrictions and construction requirements such as the installation of flood vents to allow for the automatic entry and exit of flood waters.
This wet floodproofing technique is required for residential buildings.
With commercial buildings, elevation and the use of wet floodproofing techniques is the suggested form of mitigation. This technique can be a more cost-effective solution, and reduces the impacts the building has on surrounding floodplain in comparison to dry floodproofing techniques.
SMART VENT Advantage
- Reliable, 15+ years of experience in flood venting protection with over 80 million square foot covered.
- Made in the USA out of flood resistant 316 stainless steel construction.
- ICC-ES Certified, FEMA Accepted models ensure approval with Code Officials, Surveyors, and the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Patented internal activation floats keep our flood vents rodent resistant.
- Models for every application including retro-fit projects.
- Certified Floodplain Managers provide industry leading service.
- Our Flood Risk Evaluator™ (F.R.E.) division ensures you receive proper flood insurance rating with your Smart Vent purchase.